Saturday, February 02, 2008

Saturday

Sun and snow, pleasure upon pleasure, endless gifts and joys without ceasing. Saturday is here and already I have to check each day which day it is - oh the joys of life away from a desk and a routine and a life of responsibilities!

Here's a photo of St Bernard's Wengen I took this morning. The cloud was down and the snow was falling, though as I look out now the sun is already breaking through again. There is a pristine beauty in the freshness of each morning here, whether there has been new snowfall or not. Each morning I pull back the curtain by my bedside to see what kind of day it will be: blue sky and sun, or wondrous, magical snowflakes falling like blessings from the sky.

I still haven't actually been skiing yet. Maybe Monday. I am enjoying writing too much. And day by day, my output is remaining high. Yesterday was a long, hard day. I hit an important point and wanted to just get it right. It will need re-working, and the end was rushed. But I was pleased with a solid day's work.

A book on forgiveness needs light and shade. You have to deal with things that need forgiving. They have to be faced. And if everything gets forgiven too quickly, everyone looks at it and goes, "but my life isn't like that", which won't do. Yet the power of what Jesus has done for us has to shine through, or the weight of what we face is too much. It's a balance. There will be time at the end to adjust if I need to. Yesterday was a day to face tough things. Today will take that further. Tomorrow - is Sunday, the joy of worship and Matthew 17, the transfiguration, which will be great.

Thanks for the prayers. I appreciate it.

1 comment:

Ricky Carvel said...

Sounds like you're having a good time. Wish I could go somewhere idyllic when I need to write...

Anyway, the book I'm currently reading ('The End of Religion' by Bruxy Cavey; I think you'd like it) had an interesting insight into the transfiguration. This is probably the most overtly 'holy' event in the entire gospel. Faced with such a holy event, what is Peter's automatic response: 'this needs a building, holy stuff is supposed to happen in buildings; like the temple'. But the message of the gospel is that Jesus has replaced the temple, you don't need a building, a chrch, a 'sanctuary', an institution, or whatever to encounter God. All you need is Jesus. I'd never thought of it in those terms before.

Anyway, keep writing. I'm looking forward to this book. :o)

(I may have to re-buy your last one. I lent it to someone - I forget who - and it has never returned... hey ho)