Friday, March 07, 2008

And we're done. Sort of.

So we're done. Sort of. 124,137 words. 503 pages. A first version of the first draft. Glory!

There is an awful lot more work to be done, and I may even do some this next week. But my aim was to finish by tonight. Why? Because this has been wonderful, I have loved every creative minute of it - but it has also been solid work, and before I leave this country in 10 days time I would like a holiday!

Oh yes. So please note my wonderful praying people of St Catherine's, I would like some different prayers now please. Rest! Relaxation! A quiet mind and a still spirit!

I am so thrilled to have finished this draft of this book. Every target bar one has been hit. The one I missed? 120,000 words. But given I'm 4,000 over, I think that's OK. Give a guy a break!

Forgive me, OK!

The photo is of the current front page. It is headed, "The Forgiving", and carries two quotations.

One is from Isaiah 46.3-4.
"Listen to me...
You whom I have upheld since you were conceived, and have carried since your birth. Even to your old age and grey hairs I am he, I am he who will sustain you. I have made you and I will carry you; I will sustain you and I will rescue you."

The second quotation is from George Herbert:
"Forgiveness is the most necessary and proper work of every man; for though, when I do not a just thing, or a charitable, or a wise, another man may do it for me, yet no man can forgive my enemy but myself."
This weekend I'm off to visit Karen Welbourn, who was at Merton with me a million years ago, and her husband Jerry and the kids, and we will probably go to church at the Falls Church just south of Washington DC. I am really looking forwards to this trip. K&J hosted me for much of my six months stay back in 1990 when I lived over here, and their families were so wonderful it will be fantastic to see everyone. The last time I saw them was in 1995 - so I guess we will all have changed!
Many many blessings.
My heart is filled with joy, thanksgiving and praise.
Thank you Jesus: thank you Lord for this project, for this time, for these words. For all that is still to come. For this unbelievable opportunity. For creativity and discipline! For the beauty and power of the word and the imagination.
Glory.
Thank you. Amen.

2 comments:

Matthew Trick said...

Congratulations on the draft, the first chapter's title 'The Forgiving' sounds fascinating!

I pray that God would grant you the peace and rest that you seek, that through that stillness he would refresh your whole being.

Matt

Marcus Green said...

Matt - thank you! Except, this is not a chapter 1 title. It's a book title. For the time being...

Mind you, Salvation's Song had another title during the long pre-publishing process too.