Sunday, March 16, 2008

Nashville, Denver or Athens?

Where am I?

So this morning I went to church with Kenn Hughes, musical director of DMHO, to his Baptist Church. It was a great service - and a great band and choir. 25 musicians, over 100 singers. During one song, Darlene Zschech's "Worthy is the Lamb", I felt myself really lifted in worship. And there was a key change and a truly American moment in the orchestration (band stopped and choir sang through that key change) and it was still wonderful. A bit OTT for Pontypridd, but genuinely moving here, and I sensed the presence of God powerfully. Context is maybe not all, but it matters. Kenn works with a society that sends music ministries around the globe to aid missons in all sorts of places. We shall see, but I am interested in thinking how that may be a link for St Catherine's.

Then he and I met with Denver and Amy Bierman for lunch (at the second best BBQ place in town - according to Jared; Denver loves it, and I enjoyed it as much second time in two days as the first!) - Denver of course being D of DMHO.

It is a real privilege to meet these guys. Their work has been an inspriation for me, and to listen to them speak of what they are doing, how God is calling them on, how things are changing for them and how they are trying to serve humbly, was just a joy.

After lunch, Kenn took me to see the Parthenon. Or at least, Nashville's replica of it. No acropolis for it to sit atop, but still pretty impressive, I think! And therefore a brief trip to Athens (this place being known as the Athens of the South on account of its many universities and Country Music).

Another great day, and the last of my wanderings. Back to the airport soon and then Tampa for another 48 hours before heading homewards. In the service this morning, the emphasis was on saying thank you for the communion. I have an awful lot for which to be thankful, so much so that these words are scarcely hinting at the heart of that matter, or at the matter of my heart. But thanksgiving is large in my thinking. I have had again the joy of meeting with amazing people, and seeing God working in and through them.

Who am I to get this? Just one of the blessed. And, picking up a familiar themes to the three regulars out there, I guess now the blessed must seek to become the blessing.
(Later)
I listened to a 'live' recording of DMHO on the plane on the way back to Tampa tonight. And more than ever I think we must do more with the swing worship as evangelism. It is something that is distinctly ours and which is, I believe, part of the Lord's gift to us. It will be hard work; but I am again inspired by meeting these guys and by what they do. By their music and their message. Now to think how to make our version of that work - and to act on those thoughts. O Lord, bless us!

No comments: