Thursday, March 20, 2008

Parachuting onto the Escalator


So I landed. Yesterday at lunchtime I got into Manchester and finally saw Dad and Lorna who met me at the airport and drove me to Mum's. Flight 18 of 18 over and done. Mum was pleased to see me too - as of course was Matty, who, faithful hound, simply clung to my legs and refused to leave me.

Then I drove down to Pontypridd this morning. You can see from the picture of my garden that the weather is lovely. And the forecast is for arctic conditions this weekend. Parts of the country will enjoy a white Easter. Derek, one of my church wardens, has been looking after the house well. And my post was carefully spread over the whole of the study sofa. Tomorrow we'll see what that holds.

Then it was time to unpack a little before getting ready for tonight's Maundy Thursday evangelistic meal. The hall was looking good, and Lesley had worked her magic in the kitchen. Numbers were a bit light as a stomach bug had attacked a group of the church after last Sunday! And poor Kirsty had pneumonia. Time for the vicar to get back into action.

We had a great time. Super food, and the band played well - George as reliable as ever, Dan

sounding good and relaxed, and Chris and Tom working brilliantly as our new piano/bass players. Tom isn't used to using an upright, but sounds wonderful, and I shall send him a thank you for his blisters. Chris is a star on the rise. With Ed so far away, it is good to have Chris on hand.

And next - Good Friday. An hour and a half's meditation. Then reading St Mark's Gospel dramatically on Saturday. And all of Easter to prepare. As my good friend Harry always said, the thing about going away is coming back; it's like parachuting onto an escalator. The ground is moving when you land.

But what an escalator! This is my family, right here, and it was fantastic to see them, to be with them, to feel the love amongst them. I loved being away. It was a one time experience. I met some people I hope will bcome good friends, and saw some things I hope I will never forget. But I am grateful to be back.

Thank you Jesus for home.

1 comment:

theMuddledMarketPlace said...

seems you didn't miss a beat, just carried on the journey