Monday, August 18, 2008

Gold Rush

Before you Americans that read this site do a mental thing whereby you note that inevitably you have more Olympic medals than Team GB, just pause right now.

If Michael Phelps was British, we'd have 20 golds today. You guys have 19.

That's how good an Olympics we're having. Australia is in a state of blind panic, because with five days of competition left, it's a pretty tight race, but we are in with a shout of coming above them in the medals table. As of this moment, we're third, and the Ozzies are fourth. There's no way that's the final placings, but it feels good!

This is our best post-war showing. With some sailing, cycling and other very good opportunities still around, Beijing should become our best Olympic gold medal tally ever (well, except for London 1908, where we got 56 golds, many of which were for exclusively British events, including Tug O' War). Phenomenal.

I can't believe I know so much about cycling!

Or that I have been caught up in it all: I was honestly going to let the whole Olympic thing pass me by. I remember Munich. I got excited by Montreal. I was worried by the Moscow boycott. Los Angeles passed me by (do I remember pianos in the opening ceremony?) Seoul likewise. Barcelona was spectacular. Atlanta the commercial low point. Sydney superb. Athens a turning point for Team GB, but I'd lost interest. I was just ready for the new Premiership season.

But now roll on 2012! Sport UK has set Team GB a target of fourth place in the medals table for 2012. We might just get close to that this time, thanks to Wiggins, Hoy, Addlington & co. People I knew almost nothing of a week ago, but now regard as national heroes.

And yes, this is pure Nationalism. My country doing well. We get slightly nervous about that sort of thing usually, but it seems that in the shock of the splendour of the success, our inhibitions are fading, so without apology, I am enjoying every minute.

Come on GB!

No comments: