Tuesday, August 07, 2012

a walk in the park

So I went for a walk in the park. The 2012 Olympics Park.

My perseverance finally paid off & I got my athletics tickets; one for this morning's session; one for Friday night. I headed off on the early train & arrived in London in time for breakfast.

I am so impressed by the whole deal. The park is wonderful. The organisation perfect. Travelling across to the site was flawless. Everyone was helpful and everything was easy.

The park is amazing. People from all over the world - but mostly, overwhelming Team GB support. Even at lunchtime, when the park was fullest, there was good humour and ease of movement, and the whole place was fantastic. And huge.

This morning was a series of heats; Phillis Idowu was the big hope in the triple jump, but he was off form, and it seems he needs an operation. He jumped right in front of where I was sitting. He was never quite at the games. 

Which was not the case with Usain Bolt (he's sitting on the number 5 in the photo). I watched him in the 200m heat and knew I had seen an Olympian. He is a giant amongst men. Literally - he stands so much taller than the other sprinters. And when he ran, he loped into the lead and then ambled to victory. It was incredible. 20 of the most exciting seconds I have ever seen. 

I was there. I have been to the Olympics. I sat at London 2012 in Olympic park, in the stadium. I saw Usain Bolt. 

And then, as I left, there was a sudden flurry & a crowd, and someone shouted, "Boris!" And there was the Mayor of London. There was a cameraman, a reporter, and he was wandering through the crowds on his way in. Not a security person in sight. I wandered into his path, took a photo & shook his hand. 

It was a walk in the park. It was a pleasure. It was a dream. It was the Olympics. It was fantastic.




2 comments:

KWRegan said...

In the theology of communal (national) atonement, how does one expiate a truly egregious hand ball?

This is actually a semi-serious question...!?

Marcus Green said...

Well Ken, I had to look this up. Clearly in the GB gold rush that is the London 2012 Olympics, I didn't have time to watch a sport that had no immediate GB interest...

Perhaps grace in victory, magnanimity and the ability to remember that it's just a game? Sport is ultimately pointless; which is why we take such pleasure in it. It is not a replacement for war, it is rather the joy of being human expressed physically.

We should apologise when the joy is tainted; and play on. Children understand play instinctively; adults forget. Unless we are reminded.

Our whole nation is being reminded. And we are smiling as a result.