Sunday, November 25, 2007

Big Band Gospel

Here I am, singing last night in Cardiff with the National Big Band of Wales, at a concert entitled "Big Band Gospel".

Byron Jenkins, who gets the guys together, is orchestra manager of the BBC National Orchestra of Wales and this is the second concert he has organised like this - a big band gig, using members of the BBC NOW plus friends from the Cardiff jazz scene & one or two Salvation Army players, playing swinging arrangements of hymns and gospel songs to raise money for charity. This time the chosen charity was the Isubilo project in Zambia, and the concert raised something in the region of £1200, as all the ticket money goes straight there - everyone performing giving their time for free.

I need to say a few words about Byron. He is a star. Unassuming, humble, effective as anything, his enthusiasm and knowledge of the music is infectious. And his gentle love for Jesus inspires him to share his faith through the music with as many as will listen. Gold-dust. It seemed to me that the guys in the band responded warmly because he never lost his cool or came all heavy, he just got on with things, knew his stuff and did what needed to be done with great grace and good humour.

The band was fabulous. At the second rehearsal I missed a couple of entries cos I was enjoying listening to them so much I forgot to focus on my job! The classical guys - great precision and attention to detail; the jazz guys - adding much of the soloing and the zing in the swing. I love working with such pros - real musicians don't vaunt themselves and tell you how good they are; they don't need to.

It was a total privilege to be involved.

I loved singing with them. Two of my songs were from the "Every Breath" CD - a slightly re-arranged "Jesus is the Name We Honour" (but still with most of that high trumpet part! Thanks Andy Everton et al); and a new arrangement of "Everything to Me" for the whole trombone section, which was a real highlight for me - gentle mid-tempo swing, perfectly placed, doing just what I was aiming at. I loved singing with Byron conducting - so reliable, so easy to work with. A joy. And I felt wonderfully relaxed and able both to worship and perform all at the same time.

Two songs were Denver and the Mile High Orchestra tunes - "Blessed Assurance" and "Jingle Bells". Pure fun. One was a gospel track, "Cabin in the Corner", and finally a standard - "Fly Me To The Moon".

I broke two mike stands. One in rehearsal. One in the show. Oops. I am a very physical performer, you know.

What a joy. What a blessing. The crowd seemed to love it. The band certainly enjoyed themselves. I got to meet some wonderful new people and to have the most fantastic experience of performing with these guys.

And my heart is filled with thanks. Thank you Jesus. Thank you, thank you. Just wonderful.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Video?

Marcus Green said...

We had a slight hiccup with the video... It is being fixed! As soon as I have something, you know it will be here!