Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Writing

A day and a half into writing, and six thousand words are done so far. That's not bad.

Are any of them any good?

Day one - yes. Today - has been mixed.

I have lived with these words, with these ideas, with the characters and places that will populate these pages for so long that as I begin to commit them to the page, they are old friends. But they live, they breathe, they have histories and shapes and theologies and futures that take me by surprise. I love this process!

And I have to give them their due. My voice has to rule, but only in order to give life, not to take it. There was a moment this morning when I knew I had to express a thought that was not within my normal expression. It was hard to frame words in that sentence.

I have not put on my skis yet; I have loved writing too much.

I am learning so much, enjoying these days, this journey. What joy.

Even my morning worship is new, with time for songs of worship unlike anything I have experienced in ages. This is a total privilege.

I guess it will get harder; but for now my sabbatical is sheer pleasure, sheer joy. Glory. keep praying!

No comments: