Friday, April 25, 2008

Phew.

OK, I don't have cancer.

You didn't know I was worried? I've had a week of tests. Ultrasound, bloods, and best of all Barium Enema, which is 'uncomfortable' in the way Hitler is 'unpleasant'.

But Mike Lewis (whose daughter I married just before Christmas - I know, I know, I married so many women last year you forget these things - this was the surgeon's daughter - is all becoming clearer now?) has been a star and whisked me through all the tests I needed.

I needed? Stomach pains. Strange bowelly things going on. More stomach pains. And suddenly all that weight loss begins to look a bit less thrilling.

The results: I am in great health. I genuinely have the metabolism I had in my early twenties, and it's a good thing. The bloods show my diet is good, there's nothing nasty hidden away, everything is tip-top. The ultrasound shows all is working properly. The enema reveals no nasty cancers lurking, no diseases, no blockages. All is well inside the vicar.

Except - I'm in pain, and quite a bit of it.

Mike prods me about and discovers that there is a strong pain just above the stomach pain on the costochondral junction of my ribcage. Which he thinks is sending a dermatone pain down to my stomach. (Think - like shingles travels down your nerve system.) Tietze's Syndrome. It doesn't explain all the bowelly stuff - but maybe I just had a bug; coincidence. He gave me a local anaesthetic and the pain for a while subsided. The bad news? It may take 3 months to heal, but the good news is - heal it will.

Glory. What an answer to prayer. It has been a worrying few days. Weeks. Some of you have known, and I thank you for your prayers - for the rest, just join with me in gratitude. God is good; this is genuinely painful, but no more than that. I am officially healthy.

Phew.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know what I love most about God? He never fails to answer prayer in the most remarkable, unpredictable ways.

I once had a conversation with an atheist who was staggered by how many ailments are treatable by modern medicine. I remain un-staggered. God is there. God is here. God is good.

Anonymous said...

Well, that's wonderful news. You did have me a little worried yesterday...
But, as I said yesterday, you are a medical enigma. Maybe the stomach problems are related, but the good doctor (no, not that one) can't find said link... As if you could be explained, anyway!

theMuddledMarketPlace said...

Really Pleased
- was fascinated to read that evening primrose oil is a possible alternative remedy....um? possibly not

Marcus Green said...

MMP - Your poem the other day was a great remedy to the wonderful Barium Enema test!!! On a day when I was in so much pain I was capable of severely out of character moments, you made me smile. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Glad.