Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Be Happy

From The Times: Kaka reveals that he turned down the opportunity to be the world's richest footballer after praying about it. "I believe I have made the right choice," he said. "To have gone to Manchester City could have been a great project but in the past few days I have prayed a lot to understand what the right team would be and in the end I have decided to remain here. I don't want anything else, I just want to be well and be happy."

Well then it's a no brainer - go to Man City & be happy? "Come on, sunshine," says the Lord, "It's Man City we're talking about. And they've just bought Craig Bellamy; do you really need help with this one?"

Seriously: here is a young footballer, a notoriously greedy breed, offered the riches of Croesus, and turning them down - because he prayed, and family and home and being happy meant more than money. OK - he has more money already than most of us will ever see, but he also gives away a huge amount to lots of good causes. And on Radio Five Live I heard the other day a discussion that basically put the future of football in this kid's hands. Madness & greed and big business and Middle Eastern sheikhs on the one hand - and the hopes of ordinary people that the game could be about the game and not just about the pound signs on the other.

Kaka, bless him, prayed. And the more cynical hacks of the media look on in disbelief as the big money is actually rejected and the beautiful game lives to fight another day.

When was the last time you faced a really juicy temptation and did a surprisingly good thing instead? It's amazing how many people get blessed when we pray and value the things that are really worth something: "I have prayed a lot... I just want to be well and be happy."

No comments: