Saturday, April 25, 2009

Five Two


At 2-0 down, with half-time looming, Gill said, "That's not good". "No worries," I replied, remembering watching United come from 3-0 down to Spurs eight years ago and beat them 5-3. "We'll win 4-2".

I watched that game on Match of the Day at Chris Holmwood's. And as we shipped three goals, I remained upbeat about the result, and he, a Hammers fan, had an inner envy at the assurance of the United fan in the face of adversity. Of course, I'd seen the full-time results earlier, before the highlights show, and he didn't know this. Oh well.

But this time I was watching the game 'live', and still had that certainty, with that memory playing large in my mind. As it turned out, the memory should have played larger.

4-2 was pessimistic. In 23 glorious minutes, United put five past Spurs, who were helpless to stop the Champions' onslaught. And surely United will be Champions again now.

With 5 games left we need a maximum of 10 points out of 15 available. With 4 games left, Liverpool have only 12 points they could possibly score in order to make us need 10. I'm with the boys in the photo.

Since my mid-twenties, United have been the dominant force in English football. It ain't over yet.

And you may well look disturbed by this, Mr Mascherano, as may all your Merseyside colleagues, but there is as little point arguing with facts as with the ref.

No comments: