Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Tea with the Cousins


Here am I with American friends, Tory Baucum and JD Walt, in London last week.
Tory and I have known each other for years - since before his hair turned grey and mine turned loose, as he once said, introducing me to preach. He is a good man, a servant of God through tough times, and is about to take on the rectorship of Truro Church in Virginia, where he will be a great blessing.
JD is a newer friend. Dean of Chapel at Asbury Seminary in Kentucky, we met first a couple of years back when I went over there to teach on a course Tory was running. He has a heart for worship, and the soul of a poet. It has been my privilege to get to know him.
The fourth member of our party, Mimi, is taking the photo. She was a delight - and gave me endless opportunity to talk about my second favourite subject - myself.
We had a good day, wandering, seeing some art in the National Gallery, chatting theology, comparing views on American Idol. In life, God gifts us with such friends - and such precious moments - to share the deep and the trivial and to realise that in vastly different cultures we share one God who loves us all the same.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm interested in the various beverages identifiable in this photo. I'm assuming the coffee wasn't Irish, the water wasn't gin and the Coke Zero wasn't mixed with Rum...
Glad your time in London was good.

Marcus Green said...

There was an Anglican, an Episcopalian and a Methodist... so you can assume what you like! I'm saying nothing.