Monday, January 07, 2008

A Christmas Memory



This is a song I wrote for our choir at the Pontypridd Carol Service this year. It's not what you expect on this site - no jazz, no worship band. Just a choir & organ. And a bit of Christmassy nostalgia with candles and a far-too-big tree stuffed in the pulpit!

And it's a little thank you for all the folk who worked hard to be involved in what we did at Christmas this year - trying to use where we are & who we are to reach out to as many as we can with some real Christmas hope & love. There's enough of the fake stuff that shines & sparkles & disappears with your bank balance & the decorations & the gifts that get forgotten or taken for granted within moments. Don't get me wrong - I enjoy the fake stuff as much as the next bloke; not for a moment would I stop it. It's just important to know the difference & to make sure that as Christians we put the real in the mix. That's what we were trying to do this year.

Did we get it right? Well, I've no great conversion tales for you... I wonder if the wise men asked this question after Herod ordered the slaughter of the innocents. Our "getting it right" is often a confused thing; there are different levels - who am I to judge? At times I was too stressed out to know! At times, I was thrilled with what was happening. But I would far rather the confusion of the attempt than that we didn't try at all. We had a go! And next year we will again.

And people heard about Jesus.

Glory.

No comments: