Sunday, February 24, 2008

Oh, that concert

The first time I saw Michael Buble he wasn't very good. Though the encore was terrific.

The second time I saw him was the most phenomenal singing I have ever seen in my life.

This was somewhere in between. He has a great voice, an awkward stage manner that varies between a walk so strange it comes from the John Cleese school (though I think he thinks it's cool) and a presence that is genuinely quite magnetic, and an ability to project the inner meaning of a song in a way that is totally compelling - if he can be bothered.

The second half was better than the first, but at times it felt mechanical, and having seen him be so unbelievably brilliant I was knocked off my feet, watching him simply be great was OK but no more. I should be so talented.

The band was the best I've seen them. The staging fantastic. A US audience rather more vocal than its Cardiff counterpart!

And I did enjoy it. Just, well, you know. I wanted one the best concert experiences of my life, and instead I got a merely excellent one. How hard to please am I???

No comments: