Sunday, March 02, 2008

Happy St David's Day

Happy St David's Day!

I have now flown into Fort Wayne, Indiana, which is really in the middle of nowhere, to stay with Andy Booth. Fort Wayne gives the impression of being very rural, though the city at 300,000 people isn't far short of the size of Cardiff.

Andy, whom I know from the Flames of Fire/New Wine Cymru conference as a worship leader, is one of the pastors of a great church here, Heartland, and he is hosting me here for the weekend - he and a couple of his friends, Tom and Karen Maxwell, at whose lovely house I am staying.

It is cold and snowy! We're not in Tampa anymore!

Tonight I have been to another church in town, "The Chapel", where the pastor is called Rick Hawks, and he preached on the Prodigal Son. The church was interesting (with a band of 13 or 14, and a dozen singers who came in formation with hand-held mikes from the congregation at the start of the service looking like the old Coke adverts teaching the world to sing) and the sermon good; when I can find my notes I'll edit this and put a couple of comments in. I thought it was all stunningly professional. And I really enjoyed it, though in all honesty, I think a visit is all I could do; it wasn't a church I could live with. I get to see Andy's much more informal church in the morning. Andy took me along as he wanted to hear the preacher who is a friend of his and he had never been to the church before.

I did however take photos of Andy's worship space and of The Chapel before the service started. I'll try and upload the pictures later so you can work out which is which (there's a big clue in one picture!!!)

No comments: