Wednesday, May 21, 2008

On the hoof

Wednesday morning, again.

I preach unprepared not because I haven't bothered, but because it is a discipline. Three readings, set by the lectionary, and then the congregation gets to choose which one I explain for them.

Bible exposition in its rawest form. I have to know my stuff. I have to be able to explain anything that they want to know. I have to enjoy preaching the word, to love teaching the Bible. They love setting me the text.

This morning, they asked for Isaiah 40.12-17, 27-31. I know, I know, but that's what the lectionary does - bleeding chunks. So I started with a reference to Gill's Sunday morning sermon: Trinity Sunday asks us to look at the whole of God, which is a big ask. But if all we see is the bigness of God (vv12-17) we haven't seen the whole of God, for in vv 27-31 we find the Creator who touches the weak and gives them strength.

The transcendent God who becomes immanent.

Which are big theological words for the Mothers Union: so I found myself retranslating and, on the hoof, describing the pleasure, the wonder and the paradox of these verses as "the God who is really huge is also the God who is really here".

And then he was. In the silence, in the awe, in the midst of those dear, dear people with all they face, we waited upon him and felt ourselves soar awhile.

5 comments:

gt said...

And it was good - really good.

Marcus Green said...

GT! In person! Welcome!

John David Walt said...

this is a brilliant idea that takes a brilliant preacher. jd

Marcus Green said...

In all honesty, there are weeks when it is just OK. And weeks when I know I am fine because my Bible knowledge beats theirs.

But there are weeks when as I preach I learn, as I join the dots in the act of speaking, and find myself caught up in the process of creative exposition which is so inspiring I find myself falling in love with the Scriptures all over again. Something becomes revealed to us all in those moments, something precious.

You are reminded that the Jesus who explained the Scriptures on the road to Emmaus remains the best at getting the most out of the word; the trick is to getting us all in tune with him! Then it kind of works really well!

Marcus Green said...

Goodness that sounds pompous. Which I hope Wednesdays don't normally.

Fortunately this is a Saturday, so I still have 24 hours to get the pomposity out of my prepared words for tomorrow!