Monday, June 09, 2008

The Godfather IV



Ben, Micah, Flo and now Laetitia. I am amassing godchildren.

When James and Bethia asked me to be godfather to Laetitia, I was both astounded and thrilled. I am sure they have rafts of spiritual people they could ask, and the phone call I received from James whilst I was at the New Wine leaders thing at Harrogate was totally unexpected. Bethia was quite clear – my role is to pray; others will give gifts. Which is lucky, because I am pretty poor at working out what a little girl would like for her first Christmas.

But I will pray for her.

And as everyone was busy getting ready on Sunday morning, Laetitia was entrusted to my care. So I sat chatting to her for a while, and then I thought – hang on, no-one’s around, why don’t I pray? So I placed my hand on her head and prayed for the Lord to bless her, and for her never to have a day when she does not know Jesus in her life.

It was a joy to spend some with some of James and Bethia’s friends and family. The Ewins are always good company, and James’ mother Lindy was in fine form, and this was the first time I really got chance to talk with her husband Brian (Hutton – the law Lord). Bethia’s mother and father were a delight too, and again I had really only seen them at the wedding, so this was a lovely chance to meet them properly.

James’ church is plugged into an organisation called Christians against Poverty which works to give financial advice to struggling families, and to bring them to Christ. I think I need to find out more about this group; in the current climate, and with some families in Pontypridd undoubtedly suffering, this may be something we need to think about.

1 comment:

theMuddledMarketPlace said...

CAP are a great bunch