Sunday, July 20, 2008

The first time I saw Paris

Here is my Mum, in Paris, where we took her for a birthday treat last week. None of us had been before, so it was a bit of the blind leading the blind, but we had a great time, and most imporatantly, Mum thoroughly enjoyed herself.

I witter on here from time to time about the importance of family, so here is an unashamed family blog! Me, Mum, Gill (my sister) and Ben (my nephew) enjoying two days away together in Paris. It was Gill's idea. She was coming over from Florida for two weeks, and thought that Ben should see somewhere in Europe, and we could combine it with a treat for Mum. I knew that Mum was really keen to see Paris, and so the idea was born. The three of them flew from Manchester, and I flew from Cardiff, and we met on the Gare du Nord!
First stop, the Arc du Triomphe. Ben wanted to go to the top - so we did. Well, he and I did. Gill & Mum stayed on the ground (quite wise) a pattern repeated later at the Eiffel Tower. We took buses, metros, trains, and we actually walked places. The Musee d'Orsay was my favourite stop - all those Monets, and what a fantastic building - though Notre Dame as the sun set was pretty good too.

No. Tell a lie. The two patisseries we found, and the six cakes I ate - those would be my personal highlights. I realise that the Louvre and the Mona Lisa was interesting, and but you can't get a decent Mille Feuille for love nor money in Pontypridd.

Ben had a wonderful time - and did a great job in climbing all the stairs up the ET. I love spending time with him, and can't wait to see him again in August when I fly over to Florida. Gill was on good form, insisting that her sense of direction was better than mine. She did find the hotel; but couldn't then count the bridges on the Seine and made us walk for ages to the Musee d'Orsay!

A wonderful trip, and a great family time.

No comments: