Friday, July 11, 2008

High Praise

As many of you know, we are working our way through Romans at the moment. On Sunday mornings, in my Wednesday Bible group, even sometimes with the Mothers Union.

It's my teaching style to try to take the complex ideas and put them in words that everyone can remember. Through Romans 6 I teach that Sin and Righteousness are presented as alternatives, and that as Righteousness is primarily "Right Relationship", Sin has to be seen as "Broken Relationship", or as one keen-witted person put it - Wrong-teousness.

What I'm trying to do is get away from Sin as judgemental-morality-failure, which is a terrible reading of Romans. And right here, right now, I'm not going to go into the whole argument -

Except to say that on Wednesday as we were going through Romans 7 in some detail, and I was explaining how this all related to the person trapped in Sin, the broken relationship, seperate from Christ, one of my congregation actually said to me those golden words, those preacher's promised-land syllables of High Praise:


"Well, we certainly didn't know what sin was till you came."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, if you're going to teach by example...

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you told me that you were having a "busy day", I'm also sure blogging doesn't count as a "busy day"...

I love the idea of righteousness being right-relationship (which I learnt from you), as it makes justification by faith a much simpler doctrine than the other allegories and metaphors we use.

Ricky Carvel said...

For some reason I'm reminded of the alleged quote by a child:

"Today the Bishop came to our church... now I know what a crook really looks like"