Friday, January 08, 2010

Wengen (2)

It's been a busy week.

When Gill and Ben left, I was desperately sad - we'd had too little time, and I always love seeing them. Teaching Ben some of the basics of skiing was real fun, and any other year I would have had far more time in my first few days in the chaplaincy to take him up and around. But that's how it goes. Plus - their jinx on snow hit here: it was overcast and mild until they left, when the snow started to fall hard, and then we had beautiful white streets here in Wengen ever since...

And sunshine...

But I was delighted to have Andy and Esther staying. As friends, as colleagues. We had a great time together. On the day after Gill and Ben left, I had a lazy day - trying to finally rid myself of my cold and prepare for Sunday - whilst they reminded themselves of the resort. On Sunday, we had two lovely services, with far more people in church in the morning than I expected. Andy & Esther helped out, and then we skiied through the afternoon sunshine. Beautiful.

On Monday I took Maggie Gerber's advice and purchased the local cough mixture to put the lid on my terrible cough which has continued for weeks now. Well - it certainly works. However, it almost put the lid on me aswell... I got every side-effect in the small print and spent Tuesday writhing in bed! Esther took my place at the weekly DHO drinks party to advertise the role of the chaplaincy in the community. She went down very well.

Wednesday - much better. And we had a full day. Thursday - Andy and Esther spent some time praying for me, for my work here and at home, just for me personally. Time I valued enormously. Then off we went - and attempted some great runs, with only one slightly defeating Andy...

They've gone now. Hopefully, all flights to Bristol are on... and still will be when I need to get home on Tuesday. Having them here has been a real gift.

Evangelistic highlight of the week so far?

Well, who knows how many may have been helped through the memorial service. But I had the real pleasure of sharing supper with a family at the Belle Vue one evening, and the two splending children started to ask me about my faith: "But do you believe everything in the Bible?" "Is Jesus really the only way?" The 12 year old apparently turned to his mother (she told me later) and said: "He's a really good teacher," so I guess something went well!

I'm tired, happy, glad to be here, and getting ready to come home. Still more to come...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a picture, impressive, pleased you are feeling better and with Esther help have touched peoples lives.... but we think its time you came back and shivered along with the rest of us..j

Anonymous said...

Glad you had a good time time with family and friends. Right place, right time.
Annamarie