Sunday, November 28, 2010

another year

The clock is ticking down the minutes to midnight; soon I will be entering another palindromic year. Last time I hit one of those I was in Cambridge, the world celebrated the Millennium, and then I moved here. So I'm thinking I shouldn't have any great expectations of what these next twelve months might bring...

If I am honest (and honesty is something I try to prize) I would have to admit that this has not been my favourite year. I am left looking forwards to the next, although the slow advancing of the years does not fill me with pleasure. Still, on my personal to-do-list there are items as yet un-checked, and so this year's picture fittingly finds me racing through the snow, unbound, unfettered, a smile on my face and ready to achieve those things I have not yet managed.

Age is a reminder: we are granted one life. Live it well. Don't waste it. Make good choices, and (in the words of Winston Churchill that I have on a fridge magnet) - "Never, never, never give up". 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Marcus.

Marcus Green said...

Do you think that Churchill comment might actually be incomplete? Like the whole thing should atually read "Never, never, never give up cigarettes and whiskey" or "Never, never, never give up chocolate"?

Just a thought.

Somewhere round about said...

pen-blwydd hapus!
(i think...)

you look in stunningly good shape ;)

Anonymous said...

Actually....

This webpage says he said, "Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense..."

To which we then could add, "or to a chocolate craving."