Monday, April 07, 2008

Now that's what I call Church

At the same time as the two blogs below, amongst all the things that come in the post I received a couple of things which caused my equable mind and heart temporarily to lose a little balance.

Silly things. Stuff that doesn't matter, but which just knocked me a bit.

And for a week I did my best to cope, with the two things below and the other things preying on my mind which I couldn't quite shake. We all have these moments. And I'm doing the strong silent leader thing. I'm a man, I can take it. More - I'm a vicar, so I have to; I don't want to burden my poor people with a sense of being human.

Sleep is good. But after countless broken hours and stressfilled dreams, I was so far off form last night that after church I sat here and felt that I had to do something. It struck me that I was unable to lead everyone into the presence of God last night because I was slightly frightened of going there myself lest I came a bit unstuck.

And with all my vaunted talk of "my church is my family", I was acting as if I had no church, no family, no friends.

So I rang Andy and Esther, went round to their home, chatted, unburdened; they prayed, I felt God's peace and their love; we drank some whisky and I came home and slept well.

Now that's what I call church.

1 comment:

theMuddledMarketPlace said...

i call that church too...