Friday, April 04, 2008

Wish Me Luck

Heart of the family, loved by all, with an unerring ability to make each person who knew her feel special: my aunty Joyce died this week. The life and soul of every party, bringing laughter in every situation, she was a tremendous lady.

This picture comes from a wedding last October. She is 84. She was still (till very recently) running a Tuesday night club "for the old folk" (most of whom were younger than she was) though age was slowing her down. I played a set for them last year, and she was delighted I took the time out to do so.

If ever my Dad and I failed to se eye to eye, Joyce was on the phone. And, curiously, though I know she had some strong opinions about one or two people - those people still felt the need to be loved by her. She was a hugely charismatic, big-hearted person.

My Mum often joked that she and Joyce were at the front of my fan club. But I was at the front of hers; except - that queue is so big, I'm jostling for position with a hundred others. And if children are a testimony to their parents, then my cousin Pauline, one of the kindest people there is, speaks volumes of her mother simply by who she is.

The funeral is next Thursday. The last thing I shall be able to do for her.

And the title of this piece refers to the music that shall play as we leave the chapel, a song by her beloved Gracie Fields (whom Joyce impersonated marvellously!)

No comments: